Recipes - Recipes - Recipes
Looking for some creative, yet simple, recipes to try out in the kitchen? Look no further.
Every month The Kanata Seniors Council Café chefs will share some of their best-kept culinary secrets with you on this page.
November's Mouth-Watering Offerings
Culinary delights from our Café Chefs to you.
TOMATO BASIL SOUP
- 24 halved fresh cherry tomatoes
- 3- 28 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp sugar
- 6 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 Vidalia or sweet onion cooked until soft in 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chili garlic sauce
- Bunch of fresh basil
- 1 ½ tsp oregano
- 1 tbls dried thyme (not crushed)
- 4 tbls Worcestershire sauce
- Cook in stockpot for 1 hour
- * or use Instant Pot following instructions for soup
- Allow to cool completely
- Blend in blender
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes
MELT IN YOUR MOUTH BLUEBERRY CAKE
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 1 hour
Serves: 12 (makes 1 – 8” square cake)
- ½ cup butter
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour.
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- 1-1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)
- Grease and flour 8” square pan
- Cream butter or margarine and ½ cup of sugar until fluffy
- Add salt and vanilla
- Separate eggs and reserve the whites.
- Add egg yolks to sugar mixture and beat until creamy
- Combine 1-1/2 cups flour and baking powder and add alternately with milk to egg yolk mixture
- Coat berries with 1 tablespoon flour and add to batter
- In separate bowl beat egg whites until soft peaks form
- Add ¼ cup of sugar –
- 1 tablespoon at a time, and beat until stiff peaks form
- Fold egg whites into batter
- Pour into prepared pan
- Sprinkle top with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar
- Bake for 50 mins or until cake tests as being done.
GRILLED CHICKEN & SHRIMP SKEWERS
Total time: 20 mins, Prep: 10 mins, Cooking time: 10 mins
- 1-½ tbsp Asian fish sauce
- 1-1/3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp(s) agave nectar
- 1 garlic clove (medium) minced
- 6 strips fresh boneless chicken tenderloins
- 6 large peeled and deveined shrimps
- 1 tbsp cucumbers
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- 3 tbsp powder peanut butter
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp jarred curry sauce
- 5 sprays cooking spray
- 3 tbsp Light unsweetened coconut milk
- To prepare skewers, combine 1 tbsp fish sauce, 1 tbsp lime juice,
- tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp ginger, 1 tsp agave, and 1 minced garlic clove in a shallow dish
- Marinate chicken tenderloins in marinade in fridge
- When ready to cook place chicken on small skewers
- Skewer 2 shrimps each on the remaining 4 skewers
- Whisk together: 3 tbsp light coconut milk, 3 tbsp peanut butter powder, 1 tbsp water, 1 tsp fish sauce, 1 tsp red curry sauce and 1 tsp lime juice
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium high heat and coat with cooking spray
- Cook chicken and shrimp skewers for 3-4 mins per side or until cooked through
- Garnish with optional diced cucumber and fresh cilantro and serve with satay sauce.
Recent Past Menus
Even more culinary delights for you to try.
BUBBIE’S CHICKEN BONE BROTH
- Vegetable spray
- 4 lbs fresh chicken bones
- 4 to 6 Oxy low sodium chicken broth
- 1 chopped diced Vidalia or sweet onion
- 4 peeled carrots ( cut in 1-inch pieces)
- 2 stocks celery (cut in 1-inch pieces)
- 1 large, peeled turnip or rutabaga (cut in large pieces)
- 1 tsp each or tarragon and oregano
- 1 large bunch of fresh dill
- Spray large stockpot (my stockpot is 12 quarts) with vegetable spray and then:
- Put 4 lbs fresh chicken bones into pot
- Cover bones with boiling water until pot is ¾ full
- Boil over medium heat being careful that bones don’t stick to bottom of pot
- Skim off scum that floats to top of pot
- Add 4-6 envelopes of OXY low sodium chicken broth or other low sodium broth
- Add a chopped large, diced Vidalia or Sweet Onion
- Add 4 peeled carrots cut in 1-inch pieces
- Add 2 stalks of celery cut in 1-inch pieces
- Add a large, peeled turnip or rutabaga peeled and cut into large pieces
- Add 1 tsp each of tarragon and oregano (add another 1 tsp but it’s up to you)
- Lower heat to simmer and simmer for 1 hour adding water to pot to below rim, then add 1 full bunch of fresh dill
- Simmer for at least another 1 ½ – 2 hours
- Allow to cool and then press mixture through a strainer (strainer should have small holes so bones don’t get into the broth) a little at a time
- Cool broth in fridge in freezer- proof containers and then remove the layer of chicken fat that forms on the top
Salt and pepper to taste and add noodles, rice, cut up cooked chicken etc.
VEAL CHOPS WITH MUSHROOMS AND TOMATOES
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 3/4 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 12 ozs mushrooms, sliced
- 12 ozs plum tomatoes, seeded, chopped
- 1 pound thin veal cutlets
- All purpose flour
- 1 cup canned low-salt chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and rosemary; stir 30 seconds. Add mushrooms. Cover pan and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and sauté until mushrooms are golden brown, about 5 minutes longer. Add tomatoes and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Sprinkle veal with salt and pepper. Dust with flour. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of veal. Sauté until brown and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer veal to platter; tent with foil to keep warm. Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and veal.
- Add broth and wine to same skillet. Boil until reduced by half, scraping up browned bits, about 4 minutes. Add mushroom mixture and stir to blend. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper; spoon over veal and serve.
LEMON RICOTTA CHEESECAKE
- 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup light ricotta cheese
- 2 packages of gelatin
- 2 tablespoons lemon peel (or less)
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 7 or 8 packages of sweetener or to taste or can substitute sugar to taste
- Whip 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- Add 1 cup light ricotta cheese and whip for 4 – 5 mins
- Soften 2 packages of gelatin in ¼ cup cold water and heat to dissolve
- Add gelatin mixture to cheese
- Add 2 tablespoons of lemon peel (or less) and 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Add sweetener or sugar
FOR GRAHAM CRACKER NO BAKE PIE SHELL
- ¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
- ¾ cup ground almonds
- ¼ cup melted butter or Becel margarine
- 1 package sweetener (or 2 teaspoons of sugar)
Mix together graham cracker crumbs, ground almonds and melted butter or Becel margarine. Add 1 package sweetener (or 2 teaspoons of sugar), then press into pie pan and chill for at least 2 hours.
APPLE ALMOND CAKE
(No Flour or Refined Sugar)
- 2 cups almond flour or crushed almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- Zest of an orange
- 2 diced apples
- Almond chips to decorate
- Preheat oven to 320 F
- Mix all ingredients except apples and almonds
- Add the apple to the mixture and incorporate them well
- Pour everything into a pan that you have wrapped beforehand in parchment paper
- Garnish with almonds chips
- Bake for 60 – 80 mins
- Let stand for 30 mins
ITALIAN STYLE BAKED HADDOCK
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ each red and green bell pepper, chopped
- /2 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1 – 14 &1/2-ounce can tomatoes, drained, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds haddock fillets, 4 fillets
- ¼ cup grated mozzarella
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9-inch glass baking dish. Put olive oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper and basil and sauté until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and cook until sauce like, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes. Arrange fish in prepared dish. Pour sauce over. Sprinkle mozzarella. Bake until fish is cooked through and top is golden, about 25 minutes.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
- 2 tbls butter
- 1 chopped large Vidalia or sweet onion
- ¾ to 1 tsp curry power
- Large butternut squash
- chicken broth
- 10 % cream or make it lower in fat use, 1 cup of Carnation fat free evaporated skim milk
- Cinnamon and or nutmeg
- Microwave on high for 5 mins.
- Wash and slice large butternut squash, removing all the seeds. Place slices in a large covered casserole dish and add 1/3 cup of water.
- Microwave on high for 12 to 20 mins or until soft. Let cool, then cut off skin and slice into small chucks.
- Place onion mixture and cooked squash in blender and blend well.
- Add 2 tbls of honey
- Add 2 cups of chicken broth. Blend well.
- Cook soup in Instant Pot or Ace stockpot blender following Pot or bender settings.
- Also, can be cooked on low heat in a stockpot on the stove for a least 30 mins, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- After cooking let cool in stockpot or keep warm setting in blender or Instant Pot.
- Add 10 % cream or make it lower in fat ,use 1 cup of Carnation fat free evaporated skim milk
- Add Cinnamon and or nutmeg (if you wish)