Recipes - Recipes - Recipes
Looking for some creative, yet simple, recipes to try out in the kitchen? Look no further.
Every month The Kanata Seniors Council Café chefs will share some of their best-kept culinary secrets with you on this page.
This Month's Mouth-Watering Offerings
Culinary delights from our Café Chefs to you.
SUN-DRIED TOMATO STUFFED CHICKEN BREASTS
Prep: 15 min
Cook time: 20 min. Total Time: 35 mins
You can stuff chicken breasts with whatever’s fresh in your pantry or fridge: herbs, veggies, flavourful cheeses, capers and spices.
- 2 tbsp, minced Sun-dried tomatoes (without oil)
- 2 oz Soft-type goat cheese
- 1 tsp, chopped Dried thyme
- 1 pound(s), four 4 oz breasts Uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s)
- ⅛ tsp Table salt
- ⅛ pinch Black pepper
- 1 tbsp All-purpose flour
- 1 cup, dry, white Table wine
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 cup Fat free chicken broth
- 1 tbsp Canned tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Fresh parsley chopped.
In a small bowl, stir together sun-dried tomatoes, goat cheese and thyme.
Using a sharp paring knife, cut a horizontal slit through the thickest part of each chicken breast, creating a pocket. Be careful not to cut all the way through. Stuff each chicken breast with 1/4 of the cheese mixture. Season with salt and pepper and dust with flour.
Spray a large non-stick skillet with olive oil cooking spray and warm over high heat. Add chicken and brown well. Remove and set aside. Add white wine to pan and boil until almost all evaporated.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and 2 tablespoons chicken broth until smooth. Whisk cornstarch mixture, remaining chicken broth and tomato paste into white wine. Return chicken breasts to pan. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook over low heat until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Baste occasionally with sauce.
GRILLED SALMON WITH SUMMER SALAD
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ears sweet corn, husked
- 1/2 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 4 salmon fillets (with skin), 6 to 8 ounces each, about 1-inch thick
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
To make the salad, whisk together the shallots, vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper in a medium-size bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil to make a smooth vinaigrette.
Place the corn in a large pot of boiling salted water. Turn off the heat, cover, and allow to cook until barely tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the corn from the water. When cool, cut the kernels from the cobs and add to the vinaigrette along with the tomatoes and basil. Stir and set aside.
Season the flesh side of the salmon fillets with salt and pepper. Generously brush or spray with olive oil. Grill, flesh side down, over direct medium heat until you can lift the fillets with tongs without their sticking to the grate, 7 to 8 minutes. Turn, skin side down, and finish cooking for 2 to 3 minutes more. Slide a spatula between the skin and the flesh and transfer the filets to serving plates. Spoon the salad over the fillets and serve immediately.
Recent Past Menus
Even more culinary delights for you to try.
JUMBO OATMEAL WALNUT COOKIES
Serves: Makes about 12 cookies.
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick rolled oats
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup soft butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Combine flour, oats, walnuts, baking soda and salt
- In a medium mixing bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then blend in egg and vanilla
- Add flour mixture and stir well.
- Using 1 Tablespoon of dough for each cookie, drop onto a greased baking sheet allowing ample room between each cookie.
- Bake @ 350 degrees for 12-14 mins until golden brown around edges.
- Loosen from pan while warm.
135 calories each, 7 g fats, 3 g protein, 15 g carbs
MELT IN YOUR MOUTH CHICKEN
- 4boneless, skinless chicken breasts trimmed of excess fat.
- 1cup non-fat Greek yogurt or 1 cup fat-free mayonnaise.
- 1/2cup parmesan cheese (or sharp Cheddar, or Asiago)
- ½ packet dry Ranch Seasoning Mix.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. In a small bowl…
- Combine the yogurt or mayonnaise, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and Ranch Seasoning Mix.
- Place chicken into a 9×13 baking dish and spread the mixture evenly over the chicken breasts.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until cooked through. * depending on thickness of chicken breasts baking could take 1 hour. You can also finish them off under the broiler for a minute or two to get them extra browned on top.
- Serve with a veggie like steamed fresh broccoli.
- Season with a dash of fresh parsley, if desired.
COLD THAI NOODLE & SHRIMP SALAD
Serves: 6. ( 1-1/3 cups per serving.)
Note: This noodle salad is very tasty but does require a fair amount of prep work. 30 minutes to prepare.
- 8 ozs of packaged wide rice noodles.
- 2 tbsp of fresh lime juice.
- 2 tbsp of water.
- 1–½ tbsp of fish sauce.
- 1tbsp of low sodium tamari.
- 3 tbsp of light unsweetened coconut milk.
- ¼ tsp of sesame oil .
- 2 tbsp of natural crunchy-peanut butter.
- 1 tbsp of unpacked light brown sugar.
- 2 medium garlic cloves.
- 1-1/2 minced garlic cloves.
- 2 tbsp jalapeño or serrano chili pepper.
- 1 tbsp of minced fresh lemongrass.
- 2 small fresh shallots- peeled and thinly sliced.
- 3 tbsp of fresh Cilantro leaves picked off the stem and washed (optional).
- 2 tbsp of fresh basil, washed and torn.
- ¼ cup of cooked green cabbage – shredded.
- ¼ cup of uncooked red cabbage – shredded.
- ¼ cup of shredded carrots.
- 8 ozs of precooked shrimp – frozen, peeled, thawed and cut in half lengthwise.
- 2 medium fresh scallions – thinly sliced on a diagonal.
Fill a large, deep pot with very hot tap water. Add noodles and cover; set aside.
- To make dressing, combine lime juice, water, fish sauce, tamari, coconut milk, oil, peanut butter and sugar in a medium bowl; whisk until well-combined.
- Add garlic, jalapeno, lemongrass and shallot to same bowl; mix to combine.
- Add cilantro (optional), basil, both cabbages and carrots; mix again to combine.
- Taste a noodle to see if they are ready. They should be slightly al dente.
- Drain and rinse in cold water. Add noodles to bowl and toss to coat.
- Add shrimp and scallions; mix again and let sit for at least 10 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator.
SWEET POTATO AND BEEF OR TURKEY MEATLOAF
- 500 grams (17.5 oz) of extra lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 package (400 grams or 14 ½ oz) of grated sweet potato
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp Italian herbs or 1 tsp each of oregano, basil, rosemary and thyme
- ¼ tsp of black pepper or ½ tsp of 21 Seasoning Salute
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 tbls Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup ketchup
Combine above ingredients and push down into a loaf pan lined with aluminum foil
- Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes
While the meat loaf is baking, make the glaze.
- 1 cup passata
- ½ cup low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tbls tomato paste or 1 tbls ketchup
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbls maple syrup
- 2 packages low sodium chicken broth dissolved in ¼ cup hot water
- Chopped fresh parsley to garnish
- Salt and black pepper
- Bring ingredients to boil in a saucepan stirring frequently to prevent burning
- Lower heat and simmer until sauce reduces down and thickens
- Raise the oven temperature to 400 F after meatloaf has baked for 45 minutes
- Pour sauce on top of meatloaf and bake for 15 minutes *glazes meat loaf
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with chopped parsley and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Options for sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tbls maple syrup
- 2 packages low sodium chicken broth in ¼ cup water
FRENCH ONION SOUP
- 2 tsp of margarine
- 1 tsp of flour
- 2 – 6 ozs onions sliced thin
- 1 & ½ cups beef bouillon
- 1/8 tsp of pepper
- 4 slices of french bread b(1 oz each)
- 4 ozs of gruyere cheese grated
- Melt margarine on the top of a double broiler set over boiling water.
- Stir in flour.
- Stir in boiling water until smooth
- Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally , about 15 mins or until soft
- Add bouillon and pepper and cook for 20 mins.
- While soup is cooking. Pre heat oven to 400 degrees F
- Place bread on a baking sheet
- Bake it for 5 mins or until toasted
- Leave oven on
- Ladle ½ soup into each of 2 ceramic or oven proof bowls
- Top each with 2 slices of bread and ½ of the cheese.
- Place bowls on a baking sheet and bake for 15 mins or until bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted.