Recipes - Recipes - Recipes
Looking for some creative, yet simple, recipes to try out in the kitchen? Look no further.
Every month The Kanata Seniors Council Café chefs will share some of their best-kept culinary secrets with you on this page.
September's Mouth-Watering Offerings
Culinary delights from our Café Chefs to you.
APPLE ALMOND CAKE
(No Flour or Refined Sugar)
- 2 cups almond flour or crushed almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- Zest of an orange
- 2 diced apples
- Almond chips to decorate
- Preheat oven to 320 F
- Mix all ingredients except apples and almonds
- Add the apple to the mixture and incorporate them well
- Pour everything into a pan that you have wrapped beforehand in parchment paper
- Garnish with almonds chips
- Bake for 60 – 80 mins
- Let stand for 30 mins
ITALIAN STYLE BAKED HADDOCK
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ each red and green bell pepper, chopped
- /2 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1 – 14 &1/2-ounce can tomatoes, drained, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds haddock fillets, 4 fillets
- ¼ cup grated mozzarella
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9-inch glass baking dish. Put olive oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper and basil and sauté until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and cook until sauce like, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes. Arrange fish in prepared dish. Pour sauce over. Sprinkle mozzarella. Bake until fish is cooked through and top is golden, about 25 minutes.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
- 2 tbls butter
- 1 chopped large Vidalia or sweet onion
- ¾ to 1 tsp curry power
- Large butternut squash
- chicken broth
- 10 % cream or make it lower in fat use, 1 cup of Carnation fat free evaporated skim milk
- Cinnamon and or nutmeg
- Microwave on high for 5 mins.
- Wash and slice large butternut squash, removing all the seeds. Place slices in a large covered casserole dish and add 1/3 cup of water.
- Microwave on high for 12 to 20 mins or until soft. Let cool, then cut off skin and slice into small chucks.
- Place onion mixture and cooked squash in blender and blend well.
- Add 2 tbls of honey
- Add 2 cups of chicken broth. Blend well.
- Cook soup in Instant Pot or Ace stockpot blender following Pot or bender settings.
- Also, can be cooked on low heat in a stockpot on the stove for a least 30 mins, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- After cooking let cool in stockpot or keep warm setting in blender or Instant Pot.
- Add 10 % cream or make it lower in fat ,use 1 cup of Carnation fat free evaporated skim milk
- Add Cinnamon and or nutmeg (if you wish)
Recent Past Menus
Even more culinary delights for you to try.
Air Fryer Blooming Onion
Only takes about 10- 15 minutes to prepare and another 10 minutes to cook
- I large Vidalia or sweet onion
- ¼ cup each cornmeal and flour
- 1 tablespoon Horseradish sauce
- 1 tsp of table salt
- 1 ½ tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons of Water
- 2 Eggs
For Dipping Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons each of non-fat Greek yogurt and light or fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- ¼ tsp Smoked paprika
- Cut off small piece of root and stem end of onion and peel off onion skin. Arrange onion, stem side up, on a cutting board. Cut into quarters, cutting to about ¾ inch from bottom of onion (do not cut completely through onion). Cut each quarter into thirds, cutting to about ¾ inch from bottom of onion.
- Combine flour, ¾ teaspoon garlic powder, salt, and paprika in a small bowl. Whisk together water and egg in a bowl. Place onion in a shallow bowl; sprinkle with flour mixture, gently opening onion wedges to coat all surfaces. Shake off excess flour, and pour flour into another bowl. Stir cornmeal into flour mixture. Place onion back in shallow bowl; brush all surfaces evenly with egg mixture. Sprinkle with flour-cornmeal mixture, gently opening onion wedges to coat all surfaces.
- Spray air fryer basket with cooking spray. Carefully place onion in basket and spray generously with cooking spray. Air-fry until breading is crisp and onion is tender, 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, horseradish, ketchup, and remaining ½ teaspoon garlic powder. Serve sauce with onion.
MOM’S CHINESE CHEWS
- ¾ cup of flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- ¼ cup of sugar ¼ tsp of salt
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 2 eggs
- Mix ingredients in order and stir them until thoroughly combined
- Spread in greased shallow 8 x 8 baking pan
- Bake in oven at 325 F for 30 – 35 mins
- Cool for 10 mins and slice into small squares
- Dust with fine granulated sugar or icing sugar
Air Fryer Southern-style Fried Chicken
Serves: 2 people
- Low-fat buttermilk, 1/2 cup
- Mild Tabasco or hot sauce , 1 ½ -3 tsp
- 2 Boneless skinless chicken breasts (5-ounce each)
- ¼ cup All-purpose flour
- ½ tsp each Kosher salt, paprika, onion powder, poultry seasoning, garlic powder
- 1 egg
- ½ cup Cornflake crumbs
- Stir together buttermilk, pepper sauce, garlic powder, and poultry seasoning in a measuring cup. Put chicken in large zip-lok bag; add buttermilk mixture. Squeeze the air out of bag and seal bag. Shake bag to coat chicken. Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Mix together flour, paprika, onion powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a flat pan. Beat egg in a bowl. Place crushed cornflakes in a separate flat pan. Drain chicken and discard buttermilk. Sprinkle chicken with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Dredge chicken in flour mixture, then dip in egg, shaking excess off. Roll chicken in cornflakes making sure you coat all sides. on all sides. Spray PAM lightly all over chicken.
- Preheat 6- to 8-quart air fryer to 350°F or 360°F for 3 minutes. Spray bottom and side of basket with PAM. Arrange chicken in basket. Air fry 5 minutes. Turn breasts trying not to disturb any coating. Air fry for 5 more minutes until chicken is golden and crispy and instant-read thermometer inserted into chicken registers 165°F.Serve with hot sauce.
SUN-DRIED TOMATO STUFFED CHICKEN BREASTS
Prep: 15 min
Cook time: 20 min. Total Time: 35 mins
You can stuff chicken breasts with whatever’s fresh in your pantry or fridge: herbs, veggies, flavourful cheeses, capers and spices.
- 2 tbsp, minced Sun-dried tomatoes (without oil)
- 2 oz Soft-type goat cheese
- 1 tsp, chopped Dried thyme
- 1 pound(s), four 4 oz breasts Uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s)
- ⅛ tsp Table salt
- ⅛ pinch Black pepper
- 1 tbsp All-purpose flour
- 1 cup, dry, white Table wine
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 cup Fat free chicken broth
- 1 tbsp Canned tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Fresh parsley chopped.
In a small bowl, stir together sun-dried tomatoes, goat cheese and thyme.
Using a sharp paring knife, cut a horizontal slit through the thickest part of each chicken breast, creating a pocket. Be careful not to cut all the way through. Stuff each chicken breast with 1/4 of the cheese mixture. Season with salt and pepper and dust with flour.
Spray a large non-stick skillet with olive oil cooking spray and warm over high heat. Add chicken and brown well. Remove and set aside. Add white wine to pan and boil until almost all evaporated.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and 2 tablespoons chicken broth until smooth. Whisk cornstarch mixture, remaining chicken broth and tomato paste into white wine. Return chicken breasts to pan. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook over low heat until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Baste occasionally with sauce.
GRILLED SALMON WITH SUMMER SALAD
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ears sweet corn, husked
- 1/2 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 4 salmon fillets (with skin), 6 to 8 ounces each, about 1-inch thick
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
To make the salad, whisk together the shallots, vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper in a medium-size bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil to make a smooth vinaigrette.
Place the corn in a large pot of boiling salted water. Turn off the heat, cover, and allow to cook until barely tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the corn from the water. When cool, cut the kernels from the cobs and add to the vinaigrette along with the tomatoes and basil. Stir and set aside.
Season the flesh side of the salmon fillets with salt and pepper. Generously brush or spray with olive oil. Grill, flesh side down, over direct medium heat until you can lift the fillets with tongs without their sticking to the grate, 7 to 8 minutes. Turn, skin side down, and finish cooking for 2 to 3 minutes more. Slide a spatula between the skin and the flesh and transfer the filets to serving plates. Spoon the salad over the fillets and serve immediately.